Where to begin – 10 steps
Here are some helpful tips and resources to help you starting your own business. Take one step at a time, and you'll be on your way to successful small business ownership.
Step 1: Do Your Research
- Confirm you have no real, potential or perceived conflicts of interest
- Are you a Kin in Ontario? Make sure your college registration requirements are met. More info here
Step 2: Make a Plan
- Pursue legal advice about registering your business, contracts, leases & agreement etc.
- Speak with an insurance broker about insurance for your building, employee health benefits packages and other insurance-related concerns etc.
Step 3: Plan Your Finances
- Pursue the advice of an accountant on taxation, bookkeeping, payroll and incorporation.
- More info here
Step 4: Choose a Business Structure
- Include and develop a policy regarding the request for access of personal health information from the patient/client
- If offering virtual services, ensure that you are a member of the PKA where your client lives and that you have adequate insurance
Step 5: Pick and Register Your Business Name
Step 6: Get Licenses and Permits
Step 7: Choose software system(s):
- Explore various software’s available for client reservations, accounting, client tracking etc
- Make sure that confidentiality of records is maintained
Step 8: Set Up Your Business Location
Step 9: Get Your Team Ready
Step 10: Promote Your Small Business
- Advertise the professional services within the scope of kinesiology that you are offering and provide information about pricing/fee’s
Once you have completed these business start-up activities, you will have all of the most important bases covered. Keep in mind that success doesn't happen overnight. But use the plan you've created to consistently work on your business, and you will increase your chances of success.
For more resources visit The Balance.
If you are from Ontario, visit the OKA's Starting a Practice Checklist here.